Diabetes is one of top 10 causes of death globally. According to the World Health Organisation , some 422 million people (or 5% of the world’s population!) suffer from diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is the most common form. Type 2 diabetes is when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or it does not use the insulin correctly. Without insulin, you will have excess sugar in your blood which can lead to numerous health complications.
Type 2 diabetes cannot be cured but it can be managed. However, it is a preventable disease if addressed early, particularly at the prediabetic stage. Here are some ways to keep Type 2 diabetes at bay.
1. Consult a Medical Doctor
- The first step is to speak to a trained medical doctor to better understand your risk of developing diabetes. Knowing all the facts and getting proper consultation is crucial for you to make informed choices about your health.
2. Keep your weight under control with good eating and exercise
- If you are overweight or obese, it will increase your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Staying at a manageable weight by using the Body Max Index (BMI) to measure your weight range is a good monitoring tool. Plus, adopting a healthy diet and incorporating regular exercise is good for overall health.
3. Avoid sugars
- An extension from the eating healthy point, staying away from sugar dense foods and drinks will help you avoid developing diabetes. You can also consider alternative beverages like tea which is flavorful, packed with antioxidants and sugar free! There are even some studies have shown that drinking 1 – 3 cups of tea can slightly lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and research on this is ongoing.
4. Get support if you need it
- Diabetes is not something to feel ashamed about and seeking help is never wrong. Having the support of family and friends and just knowing that there are people at your corner while you are facing this challenge can make a world of a difference on your mental and physical health. So do not be afraid to share your story, those who care for you will be there to help you along.